Energy Performance Certification

An Energy Performance Certificate (PENB) is used for simple and clear evaluation of the building in terms of its energy performance. It enables simple comparisons of buildings in terms of energy requirements (and hence costs) required for operation. Energy Performance Certification is closely regulated by the Czech law 78/2013.

The obligation to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate was imposed by law 406/2000 in 2009 for construction of all new buildings and for larger renovations. Since 2013, this obligation has been extended to owners of real estate for sale and rental.

An Energy Performance Certificate must be displayed in a public place in the buildings used for education, health, culture, business, sports, accommodation and catering services, in customer centers for suppliers of water, energy, transport and telecommunications and in public administration buildings with a total floor area of over 1000 m2.


The documents necessary for Energy Performance Certification:

  • Identification of the building (owner, address, purpose of the building, charactersitics, associated land etc.)
  • Technical Report
  • Complete construction plans, especially all floor plan and cross-sectional views.
  • Documentation of foor, wall, ceiling and roof structures.
  • Type of windows (vertical and roof), balcony and entrance doors of plastic, wood, aluminum and glazing (double glazing, triple glazing, filled with air, argon or krypton)
  • Type of heating, type and performance of the boiler or heat exchangers installed.
  • Type of lighting system and air-conditioning (if installed) and possibly other technical equipment, if they are used in the building (heat pump, solar panels, etc.).

An Energy Performance Certificate is not required for:

  • Cottages and similar recreational buildings.
  • Buildings for religious purposes
  • Buildings with a total energy reference area of ​​less than 50 m2
  • Buildings that are cultural monuments or are in a conservation area and the necessary modifications would fundamentally alter their character or appearance - a fact that is evidenced by binding opinion of the body responsible for care of state monuments.
  • Industrial and manufacturing plants, workshops and agricultural buildings with annual energy consumption up to 700 GJ
  • Existing homes of families who do not want to sell or rent them.
  • Owners by inheritance, since the law speaks only about the relationship between seller and buyer (the purpose of the law is to ensure that buyers and tenants are informed about the energy requirements of buildings in which they are interested)


  • If you do not have an Energy Performance Certificate, you could be fined up to 100,000 CZK.
  • Even if the buyer acquires the property without a certificate, they may subsequently require the seller to obtains certification.
  • The certificate must only be displayed in the public buildings as residential buildings are not covered by this regulation.
  • The certificate, or energy performance information it contains, must be in all information and advertising materials during the sale of a property and from 1January 2016 also for rental.
  • Energy prices are rising and certification is intended to protect consumers from purchasing buildings that consume high levels of energy.